Rice is one of the most-cultivated plants on earth, which probably explains why this is considered a staple food in many countries. Rice is a great source of carbohydrates which provides enough energy to last the day, not to mention that it is packed with health benefits and nutritional value as well. There are many types of rice, and different versions of cooking it are enjoyed in different regions. In Japan, for instance, one of the popular types of rice is the sushi rice.
Sushi actually means “vinegared rice.” Without a doubt, sushi will never be sushi without rice. There is a type of rice specifically used for sushi rolls, and this rice is called “shari.” The quality of the sushi greatly depends on the quality of the rice. The method of cooking sushi rice is not at all the same with how regular rice is cooked. Therefore, there are few important points to consider in able to come up with delightful and flawless sushi rice.
- 1 cup of shari or sushi rice yields to 3 regular-sized sushi rolls
- It is important to wash the sushi rice for about two minutes or longer until there is no starch coming out.
- It is very important to follow the rice-water ratio to be able to come up with perfect sushi rice. The instructions are usually in the back label of the packet.
- Seasoning the rice with rice vinegar makes it taste like sushi rice. Without the rice vinegar, it will just taste like regular rice.
When it comes to cooking sushi rice, the traditional way of cooking it in a ceramic sushi rice cooker is the way to go. But when it comes to convenience and simplicity, people on the go prefers having it done with the use of a rice cooker. Among the brands in the market, the prestigious Zojirushi Rice Cookers, in particular the Umami Micom Rice Cooker and Warmer, emerge as the most-favorite and highly-recommended by experienced sushi rice cookers. What makes this Zojisrushi rice cooker in-demand are the following:
- There is a setting that is specifically meant for sushi rice which allows the rice to soak and steam for a longer period
- The slow cook function is also very ideal for cooking sushi rice, not to mention that this feature is also perfect when cooking soups and other dishes
- There is a keep-warm feature and a reheating cycle making the rice warm at all times
- Apart from sushi rice, this model also can cook white rice, mixed rice, brown rice, oatmeal, and porridge among others
- The manual, written in English, Japanese, French, Korean and Chinese, is easy to understand